|Firefighters rescue woman from flat fire caused by candle in Clapton|
Fire crews saved a woman from a fire in a flat on Narford Road, Upper Clapton late at night on 5th August. The woman, who was suffering from smoke inhalation and minor burns, was rescued by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. She was taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a candle which had been left unattended close to some curtains.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “Candles should never be left unattended, particularly when they are close to something flammable, such as curtains or clothing. You can help prevent a fire by putting out all candles when you leave the room, and by placing them well away from anything that could catch fire.”
Two fire engines and around 10 firefighters from Stoke Newington fire station attended the scene. The Brigade was called at 2344 and the fire was under control at 0044.